Cabbage thoran or stir fry with coconut, vegetarian side dish…
This is a traditional South Indian dish that originates from the state of Kerala. It is a stir-fry preparation made with cabbage, coconut, and spices.
Thoran is a popular side dish in Kerala cuisine and is typically served with rice and other main dishes. Thoran can be made with literally any kind of vegetable or mixed vegetables.
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Garlic- 1 large clove
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Water- ¼ cup
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Dried red chilies, halved- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Green chilies, halved- 1 or 2
- Cabbage, shredded- ½ of a cabbage
- Water- ¼ cup
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- In a blender, grind the above-mentioned ingredients to a coarse paste. Keep it aside.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add oil, let turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let splutter.
- Add dried red chilies & curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion & green chilies, season with 1 tsp salt; saute till translucent.
- Add the shredded cabbage, combine well & add ¼ cup water.
- Cook covered for a few minutes till the cabbage has turned soft.
- Open the lid & add the ground coconut, combine well.
- Add ½ tsp more salt, combine well.
- Cook over high heat for a few minutes till the raw smell of coconut & garlic goes away & the cabbage starts to turn light golden brown in color.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Serve the cabbage thoran in a bowl.
- In Kerala, this is served as a side dish along with rice for lunch, can also be enjoyed with chapati.