Mango and coffee in harmony and made into a light, fluffy & feathery mousse…
I got thrilled when I found all the ingredients in my refrigerator for making one of the easiest yet delicious dessert: mousse. The next thought I had was what kind of mousse should I make. One of the classic mousse combos is coffee & chocolate aka mocha. I was up for trying something different and started whipping up mango & coffee mousse. I was curious about the taste, it did sound weird to me. That didn’t stop me from trying though. Whipped up cream cheese, instant coffee, whipping cream & mango puree; allowed it to chill in the refrigerator for an hour. After an hour, I literally rushed to have a taste of this unique mousse combination.
I’m a coffee freak, hence I loved the flavor of coffee in this mousse. The coffee flavor stood out in this mousse. As I enjoyed the mousse, the bite of mango felt refreshing to my taste buds. Trust me, it wasn’t weird at all. I made sure to not overpower this mousse with mango flavor. The subtle taste of mango along with the mesmerizing coffee, this mousse has turned into my favorite.
Mousse Making Video
- Cream Cheese- 1 cup, at room temperature
- Instant coffee- 1 tbsp, mixed with 2 tbsp water
- Sugar- 3 tbsp
- Heavy whipping cream, cold- 1 cup
- Pureed mango- 1 ripe mango or ½ cup
- Cocoa powder- to sprinkle over the mousse
- If using fresh ripe mango, puree the diced mango in a blender without adding water. I've added 1 mango.
- Into a stand mixer bowl using paddle attachment or use an electric hand mixer, cream the cream cheese.
- Add sugar and beat well.
- Combine 1 tbsp instant coffee with 2 tbsp water.
- Add the instant coffee to the creamed cream cheese.
- Add heavy whipping cream. Use cold whipping cream.
- Change the attachment on the stand mixer to whisk attachment.
- Whisk at high speed till soft peaks have formed.
- Add the pureed mango, using a spatula mix into the mousse. Do not over mix the pureed mango.
- Add the mousse to dessert bowls or shot glasses.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder over the mousse and top with mango puree or diced mango.
- Chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- After an hour, the mousse will be set well.
- Enjoy this light, fluffy and feathery mousse.