Crispy dosas and the dosa batter fermented in the Instant Pot…
Dosa is a crepe, the batter is made out of rice and urad dal or black lentil. This is a popular South Indian breakfast dish. If you own an Instant Pot, fermenting dosa batter is a breeze. Ground rice & urad dal batter can be kept in the Instant pot in yogurt setting for 8 to 10 hours. After 10 hours, you will have beautifully fermented dosa batter and you can make crispy dosas.
In this recipe for making dosa batter, I’ve added 3 cups rice and 1 cup urad dal. More rice will make the dosas crispy, 1:3 urad dal: rice ratio. However, 1:1 dal: rice ratio will make the dosa smooth.
Ferment the dosas in your Instant Pot and make beautiful dosas, can be served with chutney, sambar, etc.
- Long grain raw rice- 3 cups (ponni or sona massori rice)
- Urad dal or Black lentil skinned- 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Water- to grind the rice & urad dal
- In a bowl, add rice and add enough water to cover the rice.
- In another bowl, add urad dal and fenugreek seeds; add enough water to cover urad dal.
- Let rice and urad dal soak in water for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, rinse the soaked rice & urad dal taken in a strainer.
- Grind the rice & urad dal separately in a blender or grinder. Add just enough water to grind into a smooth batter. I've added 1 cup water to grind urad dal and 2 cups water to grind rice.
- Pour the batter into stainless steel pot.
- Using your hand, beat the batter well this will help to aerate the batter.
- Place the stainless steel pot into the main pot.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Sealing ring is not required, you can remove that.
- Select YOGURT Setting. Set time to 8 or 10 hours. Temperature should be Medium.
- After 8 or 10 hours of fermentation, open the lid.
- The batter will be well fermented.
- Add required batter for making dosa into a bowl and add ½ tsp salt, combine well.
- Remaining batter can be kept in the refrigerator for a week.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Let the skillet turn hot.
- Grease with some ghee.
- Pour 2 spoonful of dosa batter, evenly spread using the back of the spoon to a round shape.
- Drizzle some ghee.
- Let bottom side cook well and turn golden in color.
- Flip it over and let other side cook as well.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Serve warm along with chutney or sambar.
**If you live in a warm place, place the dosa batter on the counter top overnight.