Okra or lady’s finger in yogurt, a South Indian vegetarian delicacy…
Pulissery is a popular South Indian vegetarian dish that can be made with different kinds of veggies. The veggies are cooked in ground coconut & yogurt. Pulissery along with rice tastes delish & is a comfort food.
Over the years, I’ve made pulissery with beetroot, pineapple, cucumber, mango, plantain, pumpkin, and green apples.
This time I made pulissery with okra or lady’s finger. Turned out good & I enjoyed it with rice.
South Indian- Kerala Lunch
- Coconut oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Dried red chilies, halved- 3
- Curry leaves- 10 leaves
- Shallots, sliced- 3 large shallots or 6 small onions
- Okra or lady's finger, cut into rounds- 2 cups
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Coconut grated- 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds- ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Green chilies, halved- 2
- Ginger- 1-inch slice
- Water- ¼ cup
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- Place a claypan or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add oil, let turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let them splutter.
- Add dried red chilies & curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Add sliced shallots or small onions, season with ½ tsp salt & saute till golden in color.
- Add okra or lady's finger, combine well & cook covered till okra turns soft.
- If getting dry, add 2 tbsp water & cook.
- In the meantime, to a blender jar add all the ingredients mentioned 'for grinding' & grind to a smooth paste.
- Once okra turns soft, open the lid.
- Add ½ tsp more salt, combine well.
- Add the ground coconut, combine well & cook for 4 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the yogurt well using a whisk or fork.
- Take the claypot off the heat.
- Add the yogurt & combine well.
- Don't have to place the clay pot over the heat. Yogurt will curdle when heated.
- The pot is still hot so the yogurt will cook in that heat.
- Keep it covered for some time.
- Serve with rice or chapati & enjoy.