15-minute Instant pot mixed vegetable pulao with Coconut milk is a quick and delicious one-pot meal that combines basmati rice, a variety of vegetables, and the creamy goodness of coconut milk.
This dish is not only flavorful but also a great option for vegetarians and vegans.
For making this I’ve used sella basmati rice.
Sella basmati rice, also known as parboiled basmati rice, is a variety of basmati rice that has undergone a specific parboiling process before being milled and sold. This process differentiates it from regular basmati rice and provides several unique characteristics and advantages like nutrient retention, non-sticky texture, aroma & flavor.
This basmati rice is available in some of the Indian stores, if not you can use regular basmati rice.
- Oil or ghee- 1 tbsp
- Dried bay leaf- 1
- Whole cardamoms- 3
- Whole cloves- 2
- Whole cinnamon- 2-inch slice
- Star anise- 1
- Mace- 1
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Mixed veggies- 2 cups (carrot, beans, corn, peas)
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Sella Basmati rice- 2 cups, soaked & rinsed
- Coconut milk- 1½ cups
- Water- ¾ cup
- Chopped cilantro- 3 tbsp
- I've used sella white basmati rice, it's parboiled basmati rice, long grain & firm.
- If you don't have sella basmati rice, you can use white basmati rice.
- Soak 2 cups of rice in water for 15 minutes.
- After soaking the rice, rinse the rice in water taken in a strainer till the water turns clear.
- Turn on the Instant Pot, select saute setting at medium temperature.
- Add oil or ghee.
- Add dried bay leaf, whole cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, mace & fennel seeds; saute for a few seconds.
- Add the mixed veggies, combine well.
- Add all the spices, combine well.
- Add the soaked & rinsed basmati rice, combine well.
- Add coconut milk & water, combine well.
- In the Instant Pot, for 2 cups rice 2¼ cups liquid has to be added.
- If you're using a regular pressure cooker, for 2 cups rice 4 cups liquid has to be added.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Cancel saute setting.
- Select pressure cook setting, set the time to 10 minutes at high pressure. Since I've added sella basmati rice, has to be pressure cooked for 10 minutes.
- If using regular basmati rice, only requires 6 minutes of pressure cooking in the Instant Pot.
- After 10 minutes of pressure cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes & then do a quick pressure release, open the lid.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, the rice will be perfectly cooked & fluffy.
- Enjoy with raita or with your favorite curry.