A healthy breakfast or evening snack…
Oats is one of the heart healthiest ingredients that can be used for making so many dishes. I start my day mostly with oats: oats mixed with milk, oats pancake, oats porridge, sometimes I make cookies or granola bars with oats. It’s such a versatile ingredient that can be added as whole or ground.
One of the breakfast dishes in South India is Upma, mostly made with semolina or cracked wheat. Recently, I found that oats can be transformed into savory upma. Yesterday, I made this for an evening snack and loved it so much that I ended up making it again this morning for breakfast.
The mixed veggies and the egg, the slight tanginess from the lemon juice, and the spices along with oats make this a healthy and flavorful dish.
For more Oats recipes, click here
Stir frying the veggies
After adding oats
- Oil- 1½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Ginger minced- 1 inch slice
- Garlic minced- 1 clove
- Green chili, chopped- 1 (optional)
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Cashew nuts, halved- 3 tbsp
- Onion, chopped- 1 small
- Mixed veggies, cut small- 1 cup (carrot, beans, corn, peas)
- Egg, beaten-1 (optional)
- Chili powder- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Ground Cumin- ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Instant Oats- 1 cup
- Water- ½ cup
- Cilantro, chopped- ½ cup
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Place a wok or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil let it turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add cumin seeds, saute for a few seconds.
- Add bay leaf, minced ginger, garlic and green chilies, saute till golden in color.
- Add cashew nuts, saute for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, combine well.
- Add chopped onions and ½ tsp salt. Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add mixed veggies, stir fry for a couple of minutes till veggies turn tender.
- Slide the veggies to the side of the pan.
- Add the beaten egg on the other side of the pan and scramble the eggs well.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, ground cumin & ½ tsp salt combine well.
- Add instant oats, stir fry for a minute.
- Slowly add water and keep stirring. Don't add too much water as the oats will turn mushy.
- Add lemon juice and combine well.
- Taste and add more salt if required.
- Add chopped cilantro, stir fry for a few seconds.
- Serve into a bowl and enjoy the oats upma.