Kerala bakery-style egg puffs, crispy flaky goodness…
Egg puffs are a popular snack in Kerala that consists of a baked pastry filled with a savory mixture of eggs, onions, and spices. They are commonly sold in bakeries and street food stalls in Kerala and are enjoyed as a quick and tasty snack.
The pastry shell of an egg puff is made from puff pastry, which is a light, flaky dough that is created by folding layers of butter or margarine into a flour mixture. Making puff pastry from scratch is a time-consuming process, hence I always get store-bought sheets. All I have to do is thaw the puff pastry sheets for an hour & then make a simple filling.
The onion filling is made by sauteing onions till golden brown & seasoned them with a blend of spices. It’s an easy filling.
To make egg puffs, the pastry sheet is cut into squares. A spoonful of the onion mixture is placed onto each pastry, and topped with hard-boiled egg, wrapped into a gift box style. The puffs are then brushed with egg wash and baked until golden brown.
Egg puffs are a delicious snack that is devoured by everyone.
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Onions, sliced thin- 2
- Ginger garlic paste- ½ tbsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 2 tsp (or add 1 tsp regular hot chili powder)
- Turmeric powder- 2 pinches
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp (optional)
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup- 1½ tbsp
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Puff pastry sheet
- Egg- 1
- I've used store-bought puff pastry sheets. It was frozen, take it out of the freezer & thaw the sheet for at least an hour.
- puff pastry sheet will make 4 large puffs or 6 medium-sized puffs. For making more, double or triple the onion filling recipe.
- Cook the hard-boiled eggs, I cooked the eggs in my Instant Pot- pressure cook the eggs for 5 minutes followed by 5 minutes of natural pressure release & then do a quick pressure release. Immediately plunge the eggs in ice-cold water for 5 minutes, this is to stop the cooking.
- Peel off the shells, rinse the hard boiled eggs in water to remove any tiny shells stuck on the eggs and half the eggs, keep them aside.
- Next, let's make the onion filling.
- Onions have to sliced really thin & even, I sliced the onions in my food processor.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil, onion, ginger garlic paste & ½ tsp salt.
- Saute till onions turn golden brown.
- Add all the spices along with 1 tsp salt & cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add cilantro & tomato ketchup, combine well & cook for 2 minutes.
- Place the halved hard boiled eggs over the onion filling, gently wrap the filling on the eggs & cook for 2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat & let it cool down completely.
- I’ve taken 1 thawed puff pastry sheet.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into 4 or 6 equal squares.
- Place 2 tbsp onion filling onto each puff pastry square.
- Top with a halved hard-boiled egg.
- Wrap the puff pastry sheet into a pocket- bring the corners of the sheet over the egg & gently seal it.
- Seal the sides completely without any gaps.
- To a bowl, crack an egg & beat well using a whisk.
- Using a puff pastry brush, spread the egg over the puff pastry. Don't skip the egg wash, egg wash will impart golden color to the puffs.
- I baked the puffs in the air fryer, you can also bake them in an oven.
- Place the stuffed puff pastry into the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 400 F or 200 C & time to 25 minutes.
- If baking in the oven, preheat the oven to 400 F or 200 C & bake the puffs for 25 minutes.
- The puffs will turn super crispy & flaky, along with the egg-onion filling tastes delicious. This has to be enjoyed right away that's when the puffs will be crispy.