This herbal coffee is a great home remedy for cold, headache, sinus congestion & when feeling down; will instantly open up your senses and makes you feel better…
If I have a cup of this homemade herbal coffee, I would shy away from any other branded coffee in the market. I have been feeling dizzy and lethargic for the last couple of days, the only thing that is keeping me up and running is this homemade herbal coffee.
My mom and my grandma used to make this all the time. Whenever I fell sick, my mom made sure to brew this and a single cup of this coffee had done instant wonders to me, all of a sudden I would feel uplifted. When I was looking for a way to get rid of my headache, my eyes caught on the box of jaggery in the pantry ( you would be wondering why am I looking in the pantry for headache remedy: I always look for natural remedies before I even think of taking any medicine and most of the time it works for me) I was reminded of this long lost companion. What a perfect timing! I got what I needed and without even wasting a single second, I started brewing this coffee.
I took out almost all the spices from my pantry: cardamom, cloves, dry ginger, whole pepper seeds & cumin. As soon as the spice-rich water started to boil, I added a few leaves of fresh basil. I can’t really put into words, the aroma that spreads while brewing this coffee.
You can have this coffee any day, especially on days you are feeling low.
On a rainy cold day, this coffee would make a great companion…
Cooking Video: How to make Homemade Herbal Coffee
- Water- 3 cups
- Jaggery or palm sugar- 3-inch slice (must add)
- Whole Cardamom- 3, slightly crushed
- Whole cloves- 2, slightly crushed
- Dried Ginger- 2-inch slice or use 1½ tsp ground dried ginger
- Whole black pepper or ground black pepper- ½ tsp
- Ground cumin- ¼ tsp
- Fresh Basil or Tulsi leaves- 10 leaves
- Instant coffee- 2 tsp
- To a saucepan, add all the ingredients into the water except coffee, cover the pan with the lid.
- Don't replace jaggery with white sugar. Jaggery is unrefined sugar from sugar cane.
- Brew over medium heat for 5 minutes & then simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Let the jaggery dissolve completely in water.
- After 10 minutes of brewing, add instant coffee powder and give it a good stir, remove the pan from the heat, keep it covered for 5 minutes.
- Strain the coffee into mugs and sip while it's warm.
- The hotness from the ground pepper, the aroma from the basil leaves and the other spices, the sweetness from the jaggery will charge you up instantly.
- After you finish sipping this coffee your senses will open up and will feel better.
- This is a great homemade remedy for cold, headaches, sinus, etc.