Indo-Chinese chilli gobi or cauliflower fritters stir-fried in an amazing sauce, it’s a dry dish and is delicious…
My man dislikes cauliflower but he enjoys it when it’s made into chilli gobi or gobi manchurian. If you are wondering what is gobi, then it’s the Hindi word for cauliflower. Many Indo-Chinese vegetarian dishes can be made with cauliflower. One of the popular dishes is Gobi Manchurian, it can be made into a dry dish or a gravy-rich dish.
Chilli gobi is yet another popular Indo-Chinese dish, served as an appetizer or as a main dish with fried rice. It’s quite similar to gobi Manchurian; however, chilli gobi being spicier and drier than the other one.
Sharing my version of chilli gobi; you could serve this as an appetizer or wrap up it in a roti, chapati, or tortilla or serve with fried rice.
- Cauliflower, florets- 1 medium cauliflower
- Oil- to fry fritters
- All-purpose flour- 1 cup
- Corn starch- ½ cup
- Soy sauce- 2 tbsp
- Ground Black Pepper- ¼ tsp
- Water- 1 cup to make thick batter
- Oil- 1½ tbsp (used for frying cauliflower fritters)
- Garlic, chopped very small- 1 tbsp
- Ginger, chopped small- 1 tbsp
- Green onions, chopped- 1 stalk
- Onion, minced- 1
- Green pepper, chopped small- 1
- Soy sauce- 2 tbsp
- Dark Soy sauce- 1 tbsp
- Tomato paste-3 tbsp
- Rice vinegar- 1½ tbsp (or add 1 tbsp white vinegar)
- Chili sauce or paste- 1 tbsp
- Cilantro, chopped- 3 tbsp
- Green onions, chopped- 3 tbsp
- Separate the cauliflower florets. Wash thoroughly under running water.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients "for making batter", the batter shouldn't be too thick nor too thin.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat, add enough oil for deep frying.
- Dip the cauliflower florets into the prepared batter and fry it in oil till golden and crispy.
- Transfer the cauliflower fritters on a kitchen paper towel.
- Place a wok or non-stick pan over medium heat, add 1½ tbsp oil used for frying cauliflower.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic, saute till golden in color.
- Add green onions, saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add minced onion, saute till translucent.
- Add green pepper and stir fry till pepper turns soft.
- Add soy sauce, dark soy sauce, tomato paste, and rice vinegar, combine well.
- Add chili sauce or paste as per your heat level. Combine well.
- Add the cauliflower fritters, combine well with the sauce and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add cilantro & green onions, stir fry for a minute.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with plain rice or fried rice.
- You could even wrap this in roti, chapati, or tortilla and enjoy.