Apple Panna cotta, a delicious Italian dessert…
Panna cotta is one of the easiest desserts that can be whipped up with very few ingredients. It’s rich, velvety & will melt in your mouth. It’s basically cooked cream, in Italian Panna cotta means cooked cream. After I went apple picking, I’ve apple abundance in my kitchen & I’ve been turning apples into sweet & savory dishes.
When I had to make a dessert for Thanksgiving dinner, I couldn’t think of anything but apple panna cotta. Pureed apples were added to the cooked cream, as a thickening agent I’ve added agar-agar; panna cotta turned out to be delish. I couldn’t be any happier.
Over the years, I’ve experimented with panna cotta recipe & tried with different fruits: here are the recipes:
- Apple, chopped- 2 (any sweet variety), pureed with ¼ cup cream
- Cream- 2 cups (table cream or heavy cream)
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Agar-agar strands- ½ cup (2-inch slice) in ½ cup water
- Chocolate, for garnishing
- As a thickening agent, I've added agar-agar strands. It's a vegetarian alternative to gelatin and is a seaweed.
- If using strands, take ½ cup of 2 inche cut strands. Or use 1 tbsp powdered agar agar. Or use gelatin 1 tbsp soaked in 3 tbsp water.
- Into a saucepan, add ½ cup agar agar strands & ½ cup water, cook over medium heat till agar dissolves in water.
- On the Instant Pot-Select Saute setting, the temperature should be medium.
- Or cook over stove-top in a saucepan.
- Into the Instant Pot stainless steel pot, add cream & sugar; combine well.
- Either table cream or heavy cream can be added, heavy cream will make the panna cotta very rich.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- In a blender, puree apples with ¼ cup cream (Do not add water for pureeing, the color will change).
- Add the pureed apples to the cooked cream & sugar, combine well.
- Add the dissolved agar-agar, combine well.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the stainless steel pot from the main pot.
- Let cool down for a few minutes.
- Pour into dessert bowls.
- Chill in the refrigerator and let set for an hour to 2 hours.
- While serving, garnish the panna cotta with grated or shaved chocolates.
- Don't skip adding chocolate.
- Tastes heavenly along with the chocolates.