Creamy, silky and delicious curry…
I made this shrimp and scallops malai for tonight’s dinner. It was incredibly delicious that I couldn’t wait any longer to share the recipe with you all. Delicious would be an understatement. I am in need of a new word to describe this silky, creamy dish. How about if I say it’s incredibilicious??? I feel better now. Anything that has shrimp and scallops are my favorites even if it doesn’t taste that delicious, I can handle just the taste of shrimp and scallops. Now, if it tastes delicious and if it has shrimp and scallops; I will get greedy and wild and what not…
“Malai” is a hindi word which means “cream”. Usually, cream is added for making malai dishes, but in this dish coconut milk is added that’s what I liked the most. An incredibly delicious dish that will make your taste buds go wild n wild.
Step By Step Pictures
Sautéing shrimp and Scallops
Making the creamy sauce
Adding cooked shrimp and scallops to the sauce
- Shrimp, deveined- 10, medium-sized
- Scallops- 6 large or 10 small
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Butter- 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Onion paste- 4 tbsp
- Ginger-garlic paste- ½ tbsp
- Dried red chili flakes- 1 tsp
- Tomato paste- 2 tbsp
- Coconut milk- 1 cup
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 tbsp
- In a bowl, combine shrimp and scallops with turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside for a few minutes.
- Place a pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp butter, let the butter melt.
- Place the shrimp and scallops over the butter, cook tiil they have slightly cooked through. Don't overcook them.
- In a blender, grind one small chopped onion along with water into a smooth paste.
- Use the same pan, add 1 tbsp butter.
- Add cumin seeds, saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion paste, saute for 5 minutes till the raw smell goes away.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add dried chili flakes, saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, combine well and let come to a slight boil.
- Add salt.
- Add the cooked shrimp and scallops, combine well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garam masala, combine well.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Remove the pan from the heat, keep it covered for a few minutes.
- Serve with rice, naan, roti, chapati, etc
- This dish doesn't have much gravy, it's a thick creamy dish. Absolutely yum.