Chicken cutlets are my all-time favorite appetizer…
I don’t need any special occasion to make this; I often make this & is served as an appetizer or as an entree for dinner. The cutlet mix can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for a few days or in the freezer for a month. I make this cutlet either with chicken or tuna, can be also made with beef.
Crispy & tastes delicious. This is an absolute time saver dish for any party and will turn into everyone’s favorite appetizer.
Cooking Chicken Cutlet Video
- Chicken or beef or mutton (boneless)- 1 lb or ½ Kg
- Chili powder- 1½ tsp (for less heat add Kashmiri chili powder)
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp (optional)
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Garam Masala- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Onion, finely chopped- 3
- Ginger-Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green chilies, finely chopped- 2 (optional)
- Garam masala-1 tsp
- Already cooked shredded meat
- Cilantro chopped- ¼ cup
- Potatoes, boiled and mashed - 2 (cooked in the microwave or in boiling water)
- Salt- ¾ tsp
- Eggs- 2
- Plain bread crumbs- 1½ cups
- Oil- enough for frying
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave or in boiling water, let cook till fork tender.
- Peel off the skin and mash the potatoes well, keep it aside.
- Combine the chicken with all the above-mentioned ingredients "for cooking chicken" and cook covered in a saucepan.
- For less heat you can add Kashmiri chili powder instead of regular hot chili powder.
- Cook until all the water has dried off and the chicken has cooked well. Stir fry the chicken till it turns light brown, you can add 1 tbsp of oil if you prefer and stir fry.
- If you are using beef or mutton, cook the meat mixed with the spices in a pressure cooker along with ¼ cup water until 3 to 4 whistles.
- Shred the meat using your clean hand.
- Place a large pan or wok over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onions, season with ½ tsp salt and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, green chilies and garam masala, saute for a few minutes.
- Now add the cooked and shredded chicken or meat, combine well.
- Add the boiled, mashed potatoes and mix everything well.
- Have a taste, if you need more salt or seasonings you could add accordingly.
- Finally, add cilantro, combine well.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let the mixture cool down.
- Make medium-sized balls out of this mixture, flatten it between the palm of your hands, keep aside.
- The chicken filling can be made well in advance & stored in the refrigerator for a few days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs & beat well using a fork or whisk.
- Spread the bread crumbs on a plate.
- Dip each cutlet in the egg first and then evenly coat it with the bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the cutlets in oil until golden brown.
- You can also shallow fry the cutlets in less oil.
- The outside will turn crispy & tastes delicious.
- Serve warm along with tomato ketchup or any of your favorite dipping sauces.
The cutlet mix coated with the bread crumbs can be made ahead of time and can be kept in the freezer for a month.
Thaw well and fry the cutlets.
For vegetable cutlet:
Use veggies of your choice (carrot, beans, cauliflower) and boil them in water, drain and pat dry.
While making the mix: add the vegetables to the sautéed onion, season with chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and fennel powder.
Follow the other steps mentioned for making meat cutlet.
For Fish Cutlet:
Use canned Tuna for making fish cutlet.
After sautéing the onions, add ginger-garlic paste/green chilies/garam masala and add the tuna, along with the masalas: chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and fennel powder and follow the other steps.