The thought of butter bun evokes nostalgia in me…
Butter buns are a popular pastry in South India. These are sweet buns with butter-sugar frosting and are usually deep-fried. These buns are incredibly delicious and will just melt in our mouth.
In Kerala, butter buns are popular in Trivandrum, my hometown. During my school and college days, I don’t think I’ve ever left a bakery without getting butter buns. At that time, I didn’t count calories and enjoyed butter buns wholeheartedly.
Miles apart from my hometown, now if I have to enjoy butter buns I have to make them in my kitchen.
I’m sharing both versions: fried & baked butter buns. If you don’t want to deep fry them, bake them. Tastes delicious with the frosting.
Deep fried butter buns
Baked butter buns
- Warm milk- ¾ cup
- Yeast- 1 tsp
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour- 2¼ cups
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Sugar- 3 tbsp
- Unsalted softened butter- 3 tbsp
- Butter, unsalted & softened- 4 tbsp
- Powdered sugar- ½ cup
- Milk- 1 tbsp
- In a bowl, combine warm milk, yeast, and 1 tsp of sugar. Keep aside for 5 minutes, let the yeast activate.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add the activated yeast and milk.
- Knead well for 5 minutes.
- Add the softened butter, knead well for 10 minutes till a soft and smooth dough is formed.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth.
- Keep aside for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, the dough will double up in size.
- Make 7 balls out of the dough.
- Knead the balls well till smooth and soft.
- Cover the dough balls with a damp cloth.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add oil & let the oil turn hot.
- Drop the dough balls in oil without crowding & deep fry over medium heat till they turn golden brown in color. Flip it over a few times for even frying.
- Don't fry over high heat, the inside won't be cooked well & the outside turns brown.
- Transfer to a plate lined with a kitchen paper towel.
- Let the butter buns cool down completely.
- Preheat oven to 375 F or 190 C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, place the dough balls without crowding.
- Crack an egg into a bowl & beat well using a whisk.
- Brush the dough with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take the baked butter buns out of the oven.
- The buns will have a beautiful golden brown color & the outside will be slightly crispy.
- Let cool down completely.
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned for making frosting using a whisk and make it into a thick and smooth frosting.
- Before frosting, the buns have to cool down completely otherwise the frosting will melt.
- Half the butter buns and spread the frosting on the halved buns & make it into a sandwich.
- Enjoy the incredibly delicious & melt in your mouth butter buns. Pure nostalgia for me, yum!