Soba noodles are made from buckwheat flour, have a nutty flavor, and taste incredible when stir-fried with chicken and veggies…
I came across soba noodles in the Asian aisle in the grocery store. I got curious and soon got into the investigation mode. The noodle has a brown color and on the ingredients list, it said: buckwheat flour and enriched wheat flour. Buckwheat flour, huh? I kind of liked that as I had tried buckwheat before and loved it. A couple of packs of buckwheat soba noodles literally hopped into my shopping cart.
I am a huge stir fry fan as it gives me the liberty to add any kind of meats, veggies, noodles or pasta, or sauces and just stir fry them together and it’s ready in no time. So, with soba noodles, I did the same. Stir-fried the chicken, veggies and added the cooked soba noodles. It was a one-pot meal and tasted delicious.
Health benefits of Soba Noodles
- Low in calories
- High Manganese content- helps in wound healing, maintains healthy cartilage and bone
- High glycemic load
Soba noodles are a healthier option compared to many other types of noodles. Buckwheat is a good source of nutrients like fiber, protein, vitamins (B1 and B2), and minerals (magnesium and manganese). Soba noodles are also lower in calories and gluten than wheat-based noodles.
Note: Most Soba noodles have enriched wheat flour added to them, Gluten-free folks please make sure to get the one without wheat.
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Chicken breasts, diced- 2 breasts or use beef strips
- Ground black pepper ½ tsp
- Soya sauce, low-sodium- 1½ tbsp
- Green pepper, cubed- 1
- Celery, diced- 1 stalk
- Bok choy or any other greens, chopped - 2 stalk
- Carrot, diced- 1
- Hoisin sauce- 2 tbsp
- Sambal Oelek or chili paste- 1 tsp
- Rice vinegar- 1 tbsp
- Soba noodles, cooked- 1 packet
- Soy sauce- 1 tbsp
- Cilantro, chopped- 3 tbsp
- Sesame oil- 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
- Cook soba noodles in boiling water till they turn soft, they cook really fast so don't overcook them. Drain the water, drizzle ½ tbsp oil over the noodles, combine well and keep aside.
- Place a wok over medium heat, add oil.
- Add the diced chicken breasts or beef strips, season with ground pepper and 1½ tbsp soy sauce. Combine well and stir fry over medium heat till the chicken or beef has cooked well.
- Transfer the stir fried chicken or beef to a plate & keep it aside.
- In the same wok, add green pepper, celery, bok choy and carrot, stir fry for a few minutes till the veggies turn slightly soft, don't over cook them.
- Add the cooked chicken or beef to the veggies.
- Add hoisin sauce, sambal oelek and rice vinegar, combine well and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the cooked soba noodles, combine to the meat and veggies.
- Add 1 tbsp soya sauce, stir fry for a minute.
- Finally, add cilantro, sesame oil and sesame seeds, stir fry for a minute.
- Take the wok off the heat, dish out and serve immediately.