Super crispy & delicious samosas with phyllo dough…
Phyllo dough samosas are a variation of the traditional samosa, a popular Indian appetizer or snack. While traditional samosas are made with a flour-based pastry, phyllo dough samosas use phyllo pastry sheets, which are incredibly thin and delicate.
I had some phyllo dough sheets in my freezer & wanted to turn them into something delicious. Making samosas with it sounded delish, especially on a rainy day. I made a simple vegetable filling & folded the filling in the phyllo dough sheets. As you know phyllo dough is extremely delicate & paper thin so have to be gentle while folding it.
The egg wash will impart a beautiful golden brown color & shine to the dough. I air-fried the samosas, can also be baked in the oven.
If you have store-bought phyllo dough, making these samosas are super easy. The vegetable filling can be made ahead of time & stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
Phyllo dough samosas offer a lighter and crispier alternative to the traditional samosas, thanks to the delicate layers of phyllo pastry. They retain the delicious flavors and aromas of the classic samosa while providing a unique twist to the presentation and texture.
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Mixed vegetables, cut small- 2 cups
- Cooked potatoes- 2, mashed well
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Chaat masala- ½ tsp
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Cilantro, chopped- 3 tbsp
- Phyllo dough sheets
- Egg, beaten- 1
- I've taken store-bought phyllo dough, thaw it well by keeping the dough on the countertop for a couple of hours.
- First, let's make the filling, I'm making vegetable filling. You can also add shredded chicken or beef to this filling.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add cumin seeds, let turn light golden in color.
- Add the mixed vegetables (carrot, peas, beans & corn), season with 1 tsp salt, cook the veggies for a few minutes till they turn soft.
- I've cooked 2 potatoes in the microwave. Peel off the skin & using your hand mash the potatoes well & add to the veggies.
- Combine well & cook for a few minutes.
- Add all the spices & ½ tsp salt & combine well.
- At this point, you can also add cooked shredded chicken or meat & combine well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Take the pan off the heat & let the filling cool down.
- After the filling has cooled down, using your clean hand to combine well, potatoes will help to bind everything.
- This filling can be made ahead of time & stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- Take 2 phyllo dough sheets, place them together & cut lengthwise- 3 inches wide.
- Place 1 tbsp of the filling close to one of the ends.
- Gently fold the dough into a triangle shape, keep folding & make it into a triangular shape.
- Be very gentle while folding phyllo dough is paper thin & it can break apart.
- Repeat with other phyllo sheets.
- In a bowl, crack an egg & beat well using a whisk.
- Using a pastry brush, spread the egg over the pastry.
- Place them on the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 400 F or 200 C for 12 minutes.
- Or you can bake them in the oven, place the samosas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- After 12 minutes, samosas will turn super crispy & golden brown in color.
- If you skip the egg wash, the samosas won't have the beautiful golden color.
- Enjoy while it's warm with tomato ketchup or mint chutney.