Cripsy pakoras with shrimp, perfect snack for any day…
Pakoras are a popular Indian snack or appetizer that consists of onions, mixed veggies, or minced chicken mixed with a batter made from chickpea flour and spices and then deep-fried until crispy.
The other day I made shrimp onion pakoras. Shrimp pakoras are not that common in India; chicken, onion or vegetable pakoras are the popular ones.
I love shrimp so I decided to try with it; finely chopped onions, and shrimp mixed together along with all-purpose flour, rice flour, salt, and water. The mixture is then dropped by spoonfuls into hot oil and fried until crispy and golden brown.
I served the shrimp onion pakoras with tomato ketchup, can be also enjoyed with chutneys or dips, such as mint chutney or tamarind chutney. These pakoras have a crispy texture and delicious flavor, with the shrimp adding a unique and savory taste to the pakoras.
- Shrimp- 12, chopped small
- Onion, chopped small- 2 medium-sized onions
- Ginger, grated- 1 tsp
- Green chilies, chopped- 1 or 2
- Curry leaves, chopped- 8 leaves (optional)
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour- ½ cup
- Rice flour- ¼ cup
- Cilantro, chopped- 3 tbsp
- water- 3 tbsp
- I've taken large-sized shrimp, hence chopped it into small pieces.
- To a large bowl, add all the above-mentioned ingredients along with 3 tbsp water to bind the mixture.
- I've added all-purpose flour, you can also add gram flour or chickpeas flour, or besan instead.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat, add enough oil for deep frying.
- Using your fingers (or use a spoon) take some of the pakora mixture, can be shaped into a round shape & drop it into the hot oil.
- Fry till golden brown in color.
- Transfer to a plate lined with a kitchen paper towel.
- Enjoy the delicious pakoras while they are hot along with tomato ketchup or mint chutney.